Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Rainy Days

Rain is a fickle thing. Sometimes, the rumbling thunder in the afternoon sky can be the most soothing experience of the day. Others, you're cursing the heavens for having a hissy-fit. Today was one of those days.

Last week, I was talking to a friend of mine on Twitter and it eventually morphed into us planning a kickball game. We set the date for today, and of course as luck would have it, there was rain. I woke up, tweeted my friend, and then went back to sleep. I awakened two hours later and the rain had stopped. There were still clouds in the sky, but I assumed that due to this morning's downpour, it was done.

So I put my shoes on, packed up my ukulele, and was out the door. I heard about this witchcraft store that was only a 30 minute walk away, so I figured I would check it out. It was fine for the first half, I was listening to the Dresden Dolls, singing my heart out, scaring pedestrians, just a normal day. Then it started to drizzle. Then it started to sprinkle. Then it started to rain. Before I knew it, I was sitting under the shelter of a gas station, plucking meekly at my uke.

Remind me to buy an umbrella.

Eventually, I got tired of waiting for the rain to let up and pressed on. It was a miserable 15 minutes and I started to think that the universe was testing my determination. So I took that fucking challenge. I said, "Fuck you, universe. I'm going to make it to this store whether you like it or not."

Finally, I made to to the shop. It was called Hocus Pocus, and the moment I walked in the door, I was hit by a wall of heavy metal music about witches and magic. How typical. It was a cute shop, though, somewhat cramped, but it gave it a homey feel. The upstairs portion was a tattoo parlor, and the floor below was the actual witchcraft section. There was a giant pentacle painted in gold on the floor and herbs lining the wall behind the man behind the counter. I felt like I had stepped back in time with the dark wooden upholstery.

After inspecting their wares, I picked out a few stones from their selection(amethyst, labradorite, serpentine, and red jasper) as well as three candles. I approached the counter and had a conversation with the man over the blaring music. He was very knowledgeable about Wicca and most other forms of magic, and helped me out a great deal. I'm definitely going back.

When I exited the store, the sky was almost completely clear. I smiled to myself, victorious for making it through the sheets of rain. Challenge completed, universe. Better luck next time.


2 comments:

  1. I have like 8 billion umbrellas in my house. Want one?

    And I feel the same way about rain somedays, but Living in Washington, rain is just a part of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you take your uke to go shopping

    ReplyDelete