Monday, April 18, 2011

Coffee is Independence


Right now I am sitting in a crowded Starbucks, I had to elbow a bitch in the face for a spot with a power outlet. I'm here waiting for my appointment with the temp agency to begin. I have about 30 minutes before I have to get up and go. Last Monday I went downtown to make the appointment, thinking I was going to start then. Silly me...

Oh well, I wasn't prepared, anyway. I needed to print off copies of my birth certificate and social security card. All things work out the way they're supposed to! So now I'm sipping on my iced hazelnut latte awaiting the moment of truth. To be honest, I'm pretty nervous. They said I'm being tested on my knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel. Word, I can handle. It's the most basic program and I used the fuck out of it in the past. Excel, I haven't used since high school. I'm really good with technology, so I can figure it out easily, but it's been a while.

This is a big step for me, though. I've been lazy for the past few months, traveling around on my grandparent's dime, bumming off of friends. Or at least what I feel like I'm doing. They offer, I accept. I feel terrible every time I say yes to something, which is why I'm doing this temp job. Independence! Plus, I should probably have some money going into New York since it's such an expensive city. I leave in a month or so.

My drink is getting watery, it must be time to go.

An hour later....

Back in the same Starbucks, sipping on a hot hazelnut latte, rewarding myself for doing well at my appointment. That's my justification for getting coffee twice in the span of a few hours and I'm sticking to it! It's much less crowded this time. There are a few business men by the window doing business-type things, a blonde art student on a Mac doing blonde art-type things, and Ella Fitzgerald, the queen of jazz, is playing. I'm a fan.

As I said, the appointment went well. I scored a 3.25 out of 3.5 on the Word test and surprisingly, a 3.1 on the Excel portion. Oh, and 66 WPM on the typing test. I know I could have done better if I hadn't been so distracted, but meh... such is life. 66 isn't a bad score. I'm pleased with the outcome.

Hoo-ray! I am good enough to be a pawn for the corporate monster!

It was funny, in the middle of filling out the paperwork, the song, "Miss Independent" by Kelly Clarkson came on the radio. I smiled to myself and took a moment to appreciate how much life can resemble the cinema sometimes. My life seems to be resembling a romantic comedy, and I'm right at the beginning of my film. Waiting for that someone who is going to throw my life into disarray. Well, MORE disastrous than it already is, because we all know that's what happens.

I'm quite enjoying my time in Pittsburgh. The few people I know are great, the city is wonderful, but I'm looking forward to New York next month. The people there, the energy, everything about that city, I love. That's where my heart is.

Perhaps that's what this film is going to be about; My filthy romance New York City.

My drink is getting cold, it must be time to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment